February 18, 2008

Radioactive (PET Scan)

I had my PET Scan this morning.

PET Scans can pinpoint the source of cancer. Cancer cells are highly metabolic and can synthesize the radioactive glucose (sugar) that is injected into the arm prior to the exam. The areas of high glucose uptake are dramatically displayed in the scan imagery highlighting the cancerous areas.


The procedure was interesting. I had my blood glucose tested prior to receiving the radioactive agent. After the radioactive glucose was inserted into my IV I was told sit and relax for thirty minutes. I used this time to take a nap. I sat by myself in a small self-contained room with a single door that had a viewing window. I felt like a lab experiment. I was instructed not to talk on my cell phone, text message or read. They wanted me to sit and relax. Why???? I don't know.

After thirty minutes I moved across the hall to the scanning room. I had to remove all metal and jewelery. I laid down on the table and got comfortable. I had to be still for 20 minutes while my body was being scanned.

On discharge, I was instructed to drink lots of water to flush my body. I was told not to hold Sullivan for long periods of time because I'm still considered radioactive. To be on the safe side, I need to wait at least 24 hours to hold him and I need to wait 73 hours to nurse him. For the next three days I will be pumping and dumping my breast milk.

This test is done to check my body for other cancerous areas.

2 comments:

NYDolphinette said...

Wow, science and modern medicine always amazes me. I cannot believe all the things they can do today!
That stinks you cannot hold Sullivan for long periods of time. I hope you are de-radioactified real soon!!!!

Anonymous said...

You are so brave and courageous. I still keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.
love,
Jen