June 20, 2007

Diagnosis: Breast Cancer

In early May (just after I found out I was pregnant) I found a lump in my left breast. Since I had already scheduled my first Ob/Gyn Appt I decided to wait to have this new lump checked.

The wait for my first Ob/Gyn appointment was a long 17 days. I tried to put it out of mind. I tried not to think about it. However, everyday I found myself palpating my breasts to see if it went away. It didn’t. I was anxious. I kept telling myself, “It’s nothing – I’m fine.”

On Monday, May 21, 2007 I had my first appointment with the Ob/Gyn. I told her my concern of the lump and she did a breast exam. Yes, she confirmed the lump.

On Monday, June, 4, 2007 I had an ultrasound of my left breast. The doctor reading the films recommended that I see a breast specialist/surgeon.

On, Wednesday, June 6, 2007 I met with the breast surgeon. He performed a complete breast exam on both of my breasts and opted to do a biopsy of the lump.

On, Tuesday, June 12, 2007 I received multiple voicemail messages from my doctor with the results. I called him back at 3 pm. I new right away when he began to talk that the results were not going to be what I wanted to hear. He tried to break the ice by talking about the weather. My response to the weather was short and then there was a pause. He said, “Melissa, I have the results of your biopsy and they aren’t good.” I didn’t cry or react, I just said, “Ok.” I sat and just listened as my doctor talked. I had a pen and pad in my hand and I was writing everything down. As I sat on my daughter’s bed with her passed out next to me I just wrote everything. I scheduled to meet him the next day to talk in person. After hanging up I walked out of my daughter’s room and just busted into tears. I was blindsided with the news. I never thought in a million years that I could or would have breast cancer.

This is where my story begins.......

No comments: