September 8, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness Day At Turner Field


Saturday was Breast Cancer Awareness day at Turner Stadium. Survivors received a complimentary Lower Level ticket; an Atlanta Braves Breast Cancer Awareness T-shirt; Access to pre-game hospitality tent and; "A Walk in the Park," for the on-field ceremony/balloon release.

My crew all wore pink. Maelyn wore a shirt that said I WEAR PINK FOR MY MOM on the front and then on the back it said FIGHT BREAST CANCER. Little Sully wore a pink shirt with a ribbon on it. Andy wore a pink polo.

The reception was hosted by WSB’s Monica Pearson and WSB anchor/reporter and breast cancer survivor, JaQuitta Williams. It was nice to be surrounded by so many survivors and their loved ones. I found myself feeling out of place because of my age. Majority of the survivors were older women.

During the reception John Smoltz, pitcher for the Atlanta Braves came out dressed in his uniform to say a few words. I quickly handed the camera to Andy to go to the front to snap a few pictures. John Smoltz is my favorite Braves player. His words were short and sweet. It was a wonderful surprise!

After the reception I said goodbye to Andy and the kids and proceeded to the field entrance. I ran into a few young survivors from the local YSC Group. It was great to catch up with them. We decided to stick together for the remaining of the ceremony.

Walking on the field was exciting. For several years I have been coming to Turner Field to watch the Braves play and now I had the opportunity to walk on the field. What I noticed immediately was the green, green grass. It was beautiful! I stood right in front of the Braves dugout and near first base. All the players were on the field warming up and there were a few unknown faces sitting in the dugout. All the survivors lined up around the bases dressed in our pink shirts. We released the balloons and then held hands. The crowd cheered. It was a nice moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful that you got to experience the field up close. What a great event. I just found out someone I went to highschool with has mestastic breast cancer. I'm so glad you found it so soon Mel. The world works in mysterious ways. I love you!
Gretch