February 10, 2009

Awkward, I'm A Survivor Moment

I had an awkward - I'm a survivor moment. During my core class, the instructor inquired about a saying on a woman's t-shirt. The woman replied, "I Fight Light A Girl." She then pointed to another woman in the class and said that she had one too. I immediately thought I had two cancer survivors in my class. I've seen that saying - I Fight Like A Girl on many breast cancer shirts and accessories.

So after class, I decided to go up to both of them and acknowledge myself as a fellow survivor. I went up and said, "I fight like a girl too." She kind of looked at me and just smiled. I then asked her if she was a cancer survivor. She said no, but that she loved the shirt. I said something like.... I'm a cancer survivor and it's a great shirt. I have a bumper sticker on my car...blah, blah, blah. I don't really remember what else I said.

It was awkward.

No comments: