October 10, 2009

Spinach, Bok Choy w/ Yellow Bell Peppers


A simple and delicious meal - Sauteed garlic and greens! This was my first time cooking bok choy. My husband really liked it - so did I. I can't say the same for the kids. I ended up making something different for them.

Ingredients:

* 1 Tbsp grapeseed oil or canola oil
* 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (I didn't have any so I didn't add any).
* 2 large yellow bell peppers, stem and seed pod removed and discarded, sliced (about 2 cups sliced)
* 4 green onions, chopped, including green parts that are not dried out
* 1 lb bok choy, bottom root ball cut off and discarded, rinsed thoroughly, torn into smaller pieces
* 1 bag of packaged baby spinach.
* 4 large garlic pieces (minced). Add more if you desire.

Directions:

1. Heat a tablespoon each of grapeseed (or canola) oil and sesame oil in a large sauté pan on high heat. Add the chopped yellow peppers and green onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. (Keep a watch so that the onions don't burn.)

2. Lower the heat and add the bok choy. Stir to coat with the oil in the pan. Add the spinach and stir to coat with the oil. Cook only until the bok choy and spinach has wilted. The thicker, whiter ends of the baby bok choy should still be somewhat crunchy.

3. I used Salt & Pepper for added taste.

Serve immediately. Serves 4-6 as a side. I served this as the main dish. I also added a small handful of sliced almonds.

1 comment:

Margo Dollan said...

This looks amazing. I'll use it as a side since we're definitely meat eaters, but I need those dark green leafies, so this looks perfect! I also adore the almonds...I'll definitely be using them!