September 9, 2010

Pain, ER & Surgery - Part II

I thought Morphine was going to be my little piece of Heaven during this ordeal but, it turned out to be my Hell.

An hour into my first dose of Morphine I phoned the nurse to ask for more. I explained to her that I was still feeling pain and that I was really uncomfortable. She replied with a big, "Sorry, I can't give you your second dose for another three hours."

I curled up and did my best to focus on being pain free. I visualized my cysts shrinking and dissolving.  I saw myself feeling good. I repeated, "pain is going away".... "there is no pain".... "cysts are no longer causing me pain." That didn't work.

Nothing really eased my pain. I slept the day away in my hospital bed. Only moving  to go to the bathroom or to switch positions. By the second dose of morphine an intense headache took over. I was now battling stomach cramps a pounding headache and itching all over. I was experiencing side effects to morphine.

I made it through the night and by Thursday morning I was crying to the nurse. I begged her to make me feel better. I was going on day four of pain and discomfort, I was so irritable and physically and emotionally exhausted.  I had it. My doctor stopped by and decided to get me into surgery that afternoon instead of waiting till Friday. Quite honestly, I don't think I could have lasted another day.

My husband finally arrived after jumping on a morning flight from New York City. It was nice to see his smiling face. We spent the remaining of that day hanging out and napping in the room. At four o'clock I was brought downstairs for pre-op and by 4:30 I was laying on the surgical table drifting off to LaLa Land.

My doctor knew going into surgery the importance of keeping my ovaries. The plan was to go in, access the situation and drain the cysts. What my doctor wasn't prepared for, was three cysts had wrapped around my right ovary, squeezing it and cutting off the blood supply. She unraveled the twisted cysts with hopes that there would be adequate blood flow to the ovary.  There wasn't and the ovary wasn't salvageable.

In the end, I had my right ovary removed and six cysts. My doctor tells me the whole mass of tissue resembled a small melon. Yikes! She also made a comment to me that I must have a high threshold for pain because what she pulled out of me was a mess. She was surprised that I was able to handle the pain as well as I did.

So, that's it. Without being dramatic and repetitive..... I just want to say again that, that was the worst pain I've ever endured.

No comments: