You're here in your perfect body for your time here in this incarnation, and it's a living, breathing miracle in every way.~Wayne Dyer~
This morning was my annual mammogram. I got up, took care of the kids, kissed Maelyn as she left for school, started my first load of laundry, tidied up the house, made the beds, drank green juice and left the house at 7:45am. I pulled into Caribou Coffee for a hot cup of peppermint tea to enjoy during my morning commute to Northside Hospital. My ride was steady and peaceful. It was just me in the car and what a rarity it is for me to be alone in the car. I sipped my tea, drove with the flow of traffic and just enjoyed my morning ride.
My appointment went well. No, my appointment was awesome. I arrived early for my 9am mammogram. I got the second parking space as I entered into the parking garage (my second rarity of the day). I checked in for outpatient services and signed the usual hospital forms. I was met with smiles all around. I was happy and smiley too. There was no fear or feelings of anxiousness. I felt good. I felt very good going into this appointment.
I changed into my white w/ blue trimmed robe and sat with my hot tea and Wayne Dyer's "Your Ultimate Calling" (365 ways to bring inspiration into your life). I ❤ this book.
Karen, my mammogram technician introduced herself and brought me back to room number four. She did the usual of smashing, flattening and squishing my breast. Yes, it's uncomfortable. Yes, there's discomfort. Skin is being pulled, pressed and clamped between two window panes. Two images were taken and I was sent on my way to sit and wait for the radiologists review.
I nestled myself back into the waiting room and continued to drink my tea and read Wayne Dyer's comforting words. Karen popped her head in and called me into the hall. With a big smile on her face she said, "everything looks good - you have clean scans." I smiled and said, "Yeah......"
Then, Karen opened her arms and pulled me in for a hug. Not a small hug with a pat on the back. This was a whopping, genuine, BIG hug. I walked away thinking how much I miss my mother's hugs. Karen's hug was so motherly that it felt so good and I miss that comforting feeling. I get hugs from my kids and my husband but I don't get big, motherly hugs like I did today. My mother died six years ago and I was long overdue for a hug. I didn't realize this until today.
Thank you, Karen. And, thank you God for assigning Karen to me today. Her simple gesture made my day.
Happiness is an unexpected hug. ~Author Unknown
No comments:
Post a Comment