June 28, 2007

Decision Making Process

Since I am faced with a life alternating decision I have taken it upon myself to research everything. Just because a doctor tells me what to do doesn't mean I'm just going to jump in and say, "ok." This decisions needs to be mine and not someone else's. This is what I've done to have my questions answered:

Friday, June 16, 2007 I had a second consultation with another surgeon. Basically, I wanted to ask him questions that had come up after my first appointment with Surgeon #2. Nothing new was told me but I walked out of the office feeling good about moving forward with surgery. I have a week and a half until I reach my second trimester - this is when my new life will begin.

Monday, June 18, 2007 I attended a breast cancer Q&A at Northside Hospital. I showed up with Andy and there was one other couple. Her scheduled mastectomy was three days away. I could feel her and her husbands anxiety. They asked a lot of questions pertaining to the surgery and postoperative care. After the presentation we received a tour of the facility.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 I was scheduled for bilateral Mammograms and Ultrasounds. This was scheduled to tell us whether or not there were more tumors in the left breast but also to see if there was anything in the right breast. I was there for three hours. I went in and out of treatment rooms. After everything I met with the Radiologist who informed me that my right breast is clear. Thank God! The only thing that showed up in the left breast was the tumor itself and an inflamed lymph node. The radiologist told me that it is common to see an inflamed node after a biopsy.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 I met with a chiropractor named Dr. Rubin. I informed him that I was 11 weeks pregnant and recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I made myself clear that I was seeking chiropractic treatments to restore and boost my immune system to support me and the baby with the upcoming surgery and treatments. He was absolutely amazing and supportive of seeing me and baby through this. I truly look forward to seeing him on a weekly basis.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 @ 9:00 am I had an appointment with my Obstetrician. Maelyn and I got to hear the baby's heart beat. What a beautiful sound it was. Maelyn was especially excited. My doctor told me she is breast cancer survivor of three years. She had a mastectomy and chose not to do chemotherapy. It was wonderful to speak with her and to share my concerns.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 @ 10:15 am I had an appointment and second opinion with a breast surgeon named Dr. Richard Fine. He confirmed after reading the reports and viewing the films that yes, indeed I have cancer. He explained to me that doing another biopsy would be overkill.

Monday, June 25, 2007 I met with a Medical Oncologist to talk about possible treatment after surgery. Basically because of my age and tumor size - chemotherapy is inevitable. It was all just generalized talk because I haven't had my surgery yet and the tumor hasn't been further diagnosed. I don't know what I wanted to hear from the doctor but I walked out confused and crying. He told me that out of the 13 pregnant women he has treated 12 of them terminated their pregnancies and one went ahead with chemotherapy (she was in her third trimester). Like I said..... I'm not sure what I wanted to hear.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 I met with a Radiation Oncologist. She was absolutely wonderful. Again, the talk was generalized because we just don't have enough information about the tumor and whether or not my lymph nodes are infected. She too told me that chemotherapy was a given because of my age and tumor size. Radiation would obviously follow the birth of my baby. Radiation treatment would be 5 days a week for 6 weeks!

Now I need to decide what type of surgery I want to have.

No comments: