July 17, 2007

Love and Honor Your Body

It's quite obvious that I'm missing something in my chest when I wear my clothes. I haven't had the urge to hide that either. The morning I left the hospital I was fitted with a camisole and a bra with room for a padded insert. I have not chosen to wear the padded boob yet. I want to embrace the fact that I'm missing a breast. When I catch a glimpse of myself in a mirror or see myself in the reflection of a window --- It just doesn't seem real to me. Occasionally I catch the eye of a stranger taking a second look. I myself take a second look. At times I feel a little insecure, but I want to push past these feelings of insecurity and I want to be comfortable with my body. I know reconstruction is possible but I don't want to undergo anymore surgery at least until a year after the birth of my baby.

"If you can learn to like how you look, and not the way you think you look - it can set you free." ~Gloria Steinem~

"The body is a sacred garment. It's your first and last garment; it is what you enter life in and what you depart life with, and it should be treated with honor." ~Martha Graham~

No comments: