July 31, 2007

Oncologist No. 1

So, I met with Oncologist No. 1 - Dr. G.

Let me begin by saying I was so excited for this appointment. I was waiting all week for this appointment - it couldn't come soon enough. I'm just so excited to start the next step in my recovery and I'm looking forward to tackling the chemotherapy treatments.

Dr. G enters the treatment room and sits down. He said, "Let me get right to the point - I was shocked when I read your results. It's not good. You have lymph node involvement and your estrogen receptor positive. Your young, I really wasn't expecting these results. Your pregnancy could be fueling this cancer." I kind of shut down after those words. Then he proceeded to type some information regarding my tumor into a computer program that reveals your life expectancy in ten years. He tells me that if I decided to skip chemotherapy treatment that there would be an 86% chance that I would still be alive in 10 years. If I do start chemotherapy treatment then I have a 94% chance of survival in 10 years.

Percentages mean nothing to me. I'm going to survive. I will be here in 10 years and I will be here in 20, 30, 40, 50 years. I will be here! Thats all I need to know and that's all I need to believe. I don't need a computer program to tell me anything.

I wasn't very happy with Dr. G. or the appointment. I really felt a little let down. To describe it...... it felt like he deflated my balloon. I didn't feel any confidence in his demeanor. I didn't feel like he really wanted to treat me. What I mean is that I feel he doesn't want to treat me as a pregnant women with breast cancer.

In my first initial appointment with him he told me his personal opinion was to not treat a pregnant women. I know he's not the doctor for me.

I have scheduled a second opinion with another oncologist for Wednesday, August 1st. I have a good feeling about this doctor. First, Dr. G recommended her; (2) I came across her name in another breast cancer survivors blog; and (3) my bosses wife was treated by this doctor and knows her outside of the office.

I am still excited to move forward with chemotherapy. My balloon is fully inflated and I'm ready to take off! Chemo..... here we come.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear how the 2nd opinion went today... keep me posted please... and yes Chemo - here we come !!!
You WILL survive and we all know it !!!
Love you
Jeannine

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear your 1st Oncologist was not what you were expecting. I have a feeling #2 will be a much better match for you!
You are a strong, beautiful and wonderful person. You can do anything you put your mind to! Shoot for the stars, you deserve nothing but the best!
Sending you happy vibes always!
Jeanette