August 6, 2007

Oncologist No. 2

On Wednesday, August 1, 2007 I met with Oncologist No. 2 - Dr. A.

I was really nervous going into the appointment because I was putting all my money on this doctor. I'm in the midst of changing health insurance and finding all knew doctors and I'm supposed to be starting chemotherapy in 2-3 weeks. I have a lot to do. I had heard and read such great things about her, that I really wanted to like her.

As soon as she entered the room and began talking I knew instantly that I was going to like her. She asked me personal questions about me, Andy and my family. She was genuinely interested in how I was dealing with cancer and how my family was dealing with "this cancer." She then began to talk to me about my pathology report and what it all meant. She explained things to me that Oncologist No. 1 never did.

Dr. A was optimistic and confident. She asked me if I needed more time to think about what she was saying. Without hesitating, I told her that I wanted to treat with her and that I was ready to begin chemotherapy. She said good and then began to plan out my treatment. She said she wanted to get a team of doctors together a.s.a.p. to discuss my treatment. She wanted everyone on board. This team of doctors would consist of: Dr. A, a perinatalogist and an OB/Gyn. She gave me the name of a perinatalologist and that she would call and get me an appointment right away. This perinatalogist has a lot of experience with pregnant women and cancer and he would be the perfect doctor for me. I was so excited to hear that.

Dr. A said that we could get 6 rounds of chemotherapy in prior to the birth. She also said that I would be able to breastfeed for two months prior to starting my hormone therapy. I'm a little bummed that I can only breastfeed for two months - but it's better than nothing.

I walked out of her office with my head held high. I know I'm in good hands with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful news !! It does sound like you are in good hands !!!
I am praying for you and the baby each day !
Love
Jeannine