August 7, 2007

Chemotherapy 101

I met with Heather, an infusion nurse at Atlanta Cancer Care yesterday to have a Q&A about chemotherapy. My appointment started off shaky. I arrived at 2:45 for a 3:00 appointment. I checked in, payed my copay and then took a seat in the waiting room. After about 10 minutes I was called to the desk, given a piece a paper and told to sit in the waiting room of the fusion center (across the hall). So, I did.

By 3:40 an hour after I arrived I still hadn't been seen. I went to the desk and told the women that I was here for a teaching and that it was scheduled for 3:00. She apologized and said, "I'm sorry, I thought you were waiting for a patient." I wanted to scream and say, "NO, I'M A CANCER PATIENT!" What was so upsetting is that when I look around the waiting room I'm the youngest one sitting there. I began to cry and I had a hard time stopping. I'm not crying because I have cancer - I cry because it's been an emotional journey. I get so pumped up for these visits that my adrenaline kicks in and I'm ready for fight or flight. By the time I leave my appointments I'm exhausted. I literally feel like I'm crashing.

By 4:00 I sat down with Heather who was pleasant, professional, empathetic and extremely knowledgeable. I was told that my chemo cocktail will be: Cytoxan, Adriamycin and 5-Flourouracil. Also known as "FAC". All three of these have been shown to be safe and effective for pregnant women. I'm told my sessions will be 4 hours long and I am scheduled for 6 cycles every three weeks of "FAC."

No comments: