August 14, 2007

Gearing up for Chemotherapy Part I

Chemotherapy is supposed to start Friday, August 17, 2007 @ 9:15 am.

In preparation for chemotherapy I've had to get a few things done. I went to a salon to pick out and order a "cranial prosthesis" a.k.a. wig. I brought Maelyn with me because I wanted her to see me with a wig on before I came home with one. I explained to Maelyn that I will be taking medicine that causes my hair to fall out and that I was going to wear a wig for awhile.

So, I sat in the chair as the stylist picked out a wavy wig for me. I closed my eyes as she was putting it on because I wasn't sure how I was going to react. I've had the same hair style since 1991. I was nervous to look in the mirror. I slowly pulled my hands away and just smiled. I liked it! It looked natural and similar to my own style. The style was perfect but the color was off ---I was wearing a blond wig. I must say..... I don't look too bad as a blond.

I tried on a few others just for the fun of it. I kept asking Maelyn which one she liked. We both agreed that the first one was the right style for me. I ordered it in my color and it should be ready in a couple of days.

The stylist also recommended that I cut my medium length hair short, so when my hair falls out it won't be so traumatic. I agreed. Now, I'm sporting a short cut. I've also been wearing a head bandanna just to get used to wearing one. I usually never wear anything in my hair except a hair clip to pull the hair off my face. I want Maelyn to feel comfortable with me just wearing a bandanna or wrap instead of the wig.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know - you kinda look good as a blondie !
:-)
Love
Jeannine