Neutropenia describes the situation where the number of neutrophils in the blood are too low. Neutrophils are very important in defending the body against bacterial infections, and therefore, someone with too few neutrophils are more susceptible to bacterial infections.
So, I was instructed not to eat raw veggies or fruits and to avoid contact with sick people. I'm also supposed to take my temperature two times a day - everyday. If my body temperature is above 100.5 I am to consider this an emergency and call the nurses immediately.
I was told that my levels weren't extremely low, but that they were below the normal range (which was to be expected). I need to return on Friday to recheck my blood count. If for some reason the count doesn't improve then I will have to have a shot of Neupogen. Neupogen is a protein that stimulates the production of white blood cells.
Other than having low blood counts - I feel fine.
No comments:
Post a Comment