August 28, 2007

Prevention

Since I've started chemotherapy (August 17, 2007) I've been trying to prevent things.

Dry Mouth. To avoid dry mouth and mouth sores(common side effects of chemotherapy and medicine), I've been brushing my teeth with Biotene. Biotene is a bio-active enzymatic solution to help reduce the symptoms of dry mouth. I floss throughout the day and frequently brush and rinse with Biotene. Sometimes during the middle of the night if my mouth feels dry I do a quick one minute rinse and go back to sleep. In addition to biotene I brush with baking soda and rinse/swish with hydrogen peroxide.

Constipation. Chemo-induced constipation is another common side effect. So is taking a prenatal vitamin. Talk about a double whammy. I drink prune juice on a daily basis and I snack on prunes too! I force myself to drink an exorbitant amount of water (not only for the constipation but to flush the chemo out of my body). I also have stool softeners and laxatives in my medicine cabinet.

Anemia. I've been a suffer of anemia on and off throughout my life. Anemia occurs when your blood doesn't have enough hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a protein in your red blood cells that carries oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. A common cause of anemia is not having enough iron. The body needs iron to make hemoglobin. So, after my first blood work I was told that my blood counts were low. I am trying to consume red meat and iron rich foods each day to boost my hemoglobin.

Sickness. I wash my hands many times a day. Before I put anything near my mouth, I wash my hands. I wash my hands after coming home from some place. I also make sure Andy and Maelyn frequently wash their hands too. I've told Maelyn many times that, "Mommy cannot get sick." I don't share any cups or utensils with either one of them. If I'm in a public place I try not to touch my lips or face. I know it must sound crazy but I just can't afford to get sick right now.

Infection. Since the placement of my chemo port I've had to make sure that it does not get infected. I have to avoid the pool to lessen the risk of a bacterial infection. I use Tea Tree Oil sparingly to clean the port site and I try to avoid touching it during the day. Tea tree oil has been proven to be a powerful yet natural antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal medicine (essential oil).

As of right now - I'm supposed to finish up with chemotherapy by my 34th week of pregnancy. That is, if I stay on schedule (every three weeks). I have five more rounds of chemotherapy left. If, for some reason I fall off schedule (because of sickness or low blood counts) and go past my 34th week, my perinatologist has informed me that he will want to induce labor. I am desperately trying to avoid an induction.

I'm confident that I will finish up by 34 weeks. I am confident that my body will bounce back between each chemotherapy infusion. I am confident that my body will support me and baby.

I am confident.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
You are so strong and beautiful. Inside and out. What a blessing and inspiration you are to everyone around you. I love and respect you dearly. Keep up the great work!
Annette

Anonymous said...

Ditto ... Annette could not have said it any better... Melissa you are a true blessing and inspiration to me and everyone around you... I love you my friend and I am praying for health and that beautiful baby boy !
Love
Jeannine