September 28, 2007

CHEMO ROUND 3 of 6 (day one) - Part II

Lab results were positive and I was given the thumbs up and the green light for chemo. I got to my infusion chair at 11:45 but didn't actully start the infusion until 12:15. While I waited I sat with my new friend Liora. I met her through YSC (Young Survival Coalition) last month. We happen to be on the same cycle for treatment (every 3 weeks - Thursday). I also ran into her during infusion #2 and lab work during #2.

Today was special because, I got to sit with and experience her last day of chemo. Even though I just met her I was so happy and proud of her for making it through it. I'm proud of everyone I see when I walk along the infusion wing. You can't help but feel the strength of people as they sit there for 2, 3, 4+ hours. As I stroll up and down the wing on my many, many trips to the bathroom, I see that some people arrive alone and some with a companion and some with an entire entourage. We're all experiencing cancer our own way. I know that there really isn't a right way or a wrong way -- it's unique to each of us -- as we are all truly unique beings in this life. We're living, fighting and surviving the best way we know how. The only way we know how.

My infusion nurse for round 3 was Cindy. She was pleasant, attentive and new (i think). I noticed she kept fiddling with my bags of liquid medicine and at one point called the other nurse over to question something. It turns out that Cindy had forgotten to either open or close one of the valves (i'm really unsure what the issue was). I thought to myself, "Please God, I don't want any screw ups."

As it turns out.... everything went fine (as expected) and I was out the door by 4:30.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ARE Unique and a true gem!!!! I wish I had your strength, courage and positive outlook. You are truly a hero to me and I love you for that! Never change!
Love Always,
Jeanette