I've been approached by four more strangers in the last two weeks. One happened while in the drive-thru window at Mc Donald's. I was getting a morning cup of coffee when I pulled up to the window to pay. The Mc D's Employee sitting in the window said, "You look like my Grandma when she went through chemo." I was a little startled by that comment.
Me: "Well, that's what I'm going through."
Her: "What type of cancer?"
Me: "Breast Cancer."
Her: "I had it too and I lost all my hair. Chemo makes you sick....huh?"
Me: "For me, no... I've been very lucky and haven't felt nauseous or sick (awkward pause and no eye contact from her)... Take care."
The women never really looked me in the eyes. I didn't know how to perceive her comment about me looking like her grandma. I'm sure she meant well and was trying to open the line of communication. ~~Thank you Mc Donald's Breast Cancer Survivor~~
Encounter #2
I was checking out at Target and the cashier asked me, "Do you wear your hair like that or are you going through chemo?" I told her that I was going through chemo. She then told me her story and that she is an Ovarian Cancer Survivor. She was very sweet and proceeded to tell me about her surgeries and treatment. She told me to take care. ~~Thank you Target Breast Cancer Survivor~~
Encounter #3
I was getting paint at Home Depot one weekend. I go to Home Depot at least once a week. I was approached by the paint specialist. She said, "I've seen you in here several times.... are you going through chemo?" I told her yes. She told me that she was a breast cancer survivor of 7 months. She pulled her wig up to show me her hair growth. I complimented on her wig because I would have never guessed in a million years that she was wearing a wig. She completed chemo about two months ago and she was doing great. She told me that they also found cancer on her ovaries and had them removed. We swapped stories about treatment, surgeries, hair loss and wigs. She was delightful! She was positive and at ease with everything that had happened to her. She was beautiful. ~~Thanks Bonnie from Home Depot~~
Encounter #4
I was grocery shopping yesterday with Maelyn. We were walking up and down the aisles looking for items on my list. A women walked passed me and then came back over and said, "I just had to come over and say that I was where you were 8 years ago." I smiled and asked her how she was doing. She said, "Great!" We talked about breast cancer, reconstruction surgery and treatment. She said, "Your going to do great." ~~Thank you Breast Cancer Survivor~~
No comments:
Post a Comment