October 16, 2007

Gearing Up For CHEMO #4

Chemotherapy Infusion #4 happens this Thursday. I'm three down and three to go. I'm at the half way point and I can't wait to get over the hill.

My chemo experience started on August 17th and it's been two months. I've been trying to be patient with the entire experience. Every week I have a doctor's appointment (whether it's chemo, lab work, fetal specialist or the obstetrician). I spend countless hours sitting in waiting rooms and treatment rooms just to speak with the doctor for five minutes. I've spent a lot of money on surgery, prenatal care, copays and parking. It all adds up. I try to juggle my time scheduling appointments on days that Maelyn is in school and I try to get the first morning appointment. I consider myself a punctual person and it pains me that I show up early for my appointment yet seem to sit for 30 or more minutes to be seen. I try to use this time wisely by meditating or reading or just enjoying "my time." But, I can think of a thousand other places I would rather be to spend "my time."

I'm trying to remain positive but the reality is that this disease has turned my daily and weekly routine upside down. It's changed my appearance and God only knows what's it's doing to the inside of my body. How is my baby coping? Is chemo working? Do I have lingering cancer cells floating around my body? Is there a tumor somewhere else in my body that I/we don't know of yet? I'll only know after the birth of my baby in January. My doctor told me that my body will have to go back to "pre-pregnancy state" before continuing with the additional testing. That means more waiting.

Even though I try to take it one day at a time -- it's hard not to think about what's to come.

So, here I am..... gearing up for chemotherapy #4 of six treatments. I've increased my water intake and I'm consuming high amounts of protein and iron enriched foods. I take my daily nap, I see my chiropractor twice a week and I try to avoid feeling stressed or overwhelmed.

I can do this. I know I can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do this - hang in there kiddo.... I know you will be OK - god gave you this baby as a sign that he is by your side.... he is giving you the miracle of life at the end of this journey... you will survive this and so will the baby - keep your chin up and take it one day at a time, that's ALL you can do - You have so many people who are praying for you and thinking of you - god will take good care of you !
I love you
J

Anonymous said...

My father in law is also surviving cancer(he has bone cancer), but was recently very depressed. I shared your story and your amazing comments on your blog. He was inspired by you and your strength and is getting out of the house and will begin phsyical therapy. I just wanted to thank you. You made a difference in the life of this man.
Jen

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jeannine. I believe God will not give you anything you cannot handle. Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we are uncertain what those reasons are. I don't think the "why" is always important. I think it is more important in how we deal with our experiences, what we learn from them, and how we grow with them. I have a lot of faith that everything is going to be fine. You are doing so well! I am SO proud of you! Keep up the fantastic work!
Love Always,
Jeanette

Melissa said...

Jen - I wish your Father In Law all the best. He needs to be reminded that he's still the same person with or without bone cancer. It's up to him to determine the kind of life he wants to live day in and day out. He can do it - he needs to believe in himself. Many blessings to him and your whole family.

J and Jeanette - Thank you both for all your wonderful messages. It inspires me everyday to keep the faith. It's comforting to know that your pulling for me and baby. Thank you, Thank you.