October 6, 2007

Side Effects (Chemo or Pregnancy) ?

It would be ideal when treating cancer that doctor's could only treat the areas where the cancer is present. Unfortunately, chemotherapy is a systematic therapy: this means it affects the whole body by going through the bloodstream. This type of treatment not only eliminates cancer cells, but also any normal cells that are rapidly dividing. Such as: bone marrow; digestive tract; hair; kidney, bladder and lungs; mouth; nervous system; reproductive system; and skin.

Some of the temporary common side effects of chemotherapy treatment are: anemia; constipation; depression; diarrhea; fatigue; hair loss; infection; loss of appetite; difficulty thinking clearly; mouth, gum and throat problems; nausea and vomiting and nerve and muscle effects.

Along with pregnancy comes a list of temporary common side effects too. Just to name a few: exhaustion; altered appetite and senses of taste and smell; nausea and vomiting; heartburn and indigestion; constipation; dizziness and light-headedness; hemorrhoids; acne; increased headaches; difficulty sleeping; increased urination; bleeding gums; joint pains; shortness of breath; hair loss; anemia; and hormonal mood changes.

For me it's hard to differentiate between chemotherapy or pregnancy side effects. I just know that I'm being hit by both. I try not to focus on the discomforts or the nuances of the side effects. I'm doing my best day after day and week after week to avoid or alleviate some of the above side effects.

I just finished chemo #3 and I did a poor job of water intake the days after infusion. The thought of consuming 16+ cups of water a day sickens me. I got lazy with this round and I'm feeling the effects of it. I've had multiple headaches, I'm feeling sluggish, and constipation has returned.

Water is so important. The body is estimated to be about 60 to 70 percent water. Blood is mostly water, and muscles, lungs, and brain all contain a lot of water. Our bodies need water to regulate body temperature and to provide the means for nutrients to travel to all organs. Water also transports oxygen to our cells, removes waste, and protects our joints and organs.

The number one thing the chemo nurses told me was to DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! I've done an excellent job so far until this week. I slacked off and now I'm trying to play catch up.

It's not fun to talk about our problems but here are my on again off again complaints:

+ Mild pelvic joint pain(symphysis pubis dysfunction) due to pregnancy;
+ Constipation due to anti-nausea drugs and possibly pregnancy related;
+ Hemorrhoids due to constipation caused by anti-nausea drugs;
+ Sneeze and pee (pregnancy can weaken the muscles supporting the bladder);
+ Tiredness and mild fatigue due to both chemo and pregnancy;
+ Nausea in early pregnancy;
+ Feeling Foggy ("Chemo Brain);
+ Mild hot flashes (they come and they go);
+ Cold chills (without hair I'm always cold);
+ Neutropenia; and
+ Hair loss

Like I said, I try not to focus on the negatives. I'm thankful that these side effects are mild and manageable. I have three more rounds of chemo to go. I need to make sure I drink my water. Water has been my "wonder liquid". It keeps me hydrated and helps my body eliminate toxins.

As anything.... it's all manageable if you put the effort in.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Melissa!

You're doing a great job of keeping up with all this - God is also with you every step of the way - allow Him to carry you through these extreme times of battle. His love for you is greater than any love ever known.

Here's a story that has always reminded me that I always have help in this journey called life....

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you were not there for me?”

The Lord replied,
“The times when you have seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.”


We love you and pray for you often!
Shauna, Doug & Parker