December 18, 2007

Braxton Hicks Contractions

I thought I was going into labor the other night......

Sunday was a fun filled day with friends - gathered for a three year olds birthday party. We ate pizza, chips-n-dips, cheese and crackers and drank sparkling juice. I was exhausted by the end of the party and went home and took a long nap.

After dinner I found myself filled with crazy amounts of energy. I decided not to let this energy go to waste and started cleaning. I cleaned everything! Everything that was out-of-place got put back in its place. I washed and folded all the baby clothes I received from my baby shower. Andy looked at me and asked if I was ok. I told him that I was feeling great and I didn't want to miss this opportunity to get the house organized before the family arrives for Christmas. Then it dawned on me.... was I nesting?????

Later that evening I had a healthy bowel movement followed by some diarrhea. This is not something pleasing to share - but, bowel movements and diarrhea are early signs of labor. At one point I wasn't feeling to well and tried to lay down and go to sleep. I was uncomfortable and I felt slight cramping in my abdomen and pressure in both my pelvic and low back region.

Around 11pm the contractions began. They came every 8 minutes. I was excited and a bit unsure. I just laid in bed and timed my contractions. They weren't painful but my uterus was definitely contracting and baby boy was moving a lot. By 2am I decided to call the on call nurse to run by my symptoms. Basically, she said since my contractions weren't intense or painful to just sleep through it or take a warm bath. She told me to call back if anything changed. I hung up and decided to sleep through them.

As it turns out...... I wasn't in labor but I was experiencing Braxton Hicks Contractions. It was very exciting and I can't wait for the real thing to happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so great to hear you say the words " I was excited "
It brings tears to my eyes,,, after ALL that you've been through these past 9 months - to have you be excited is simply awesome !!!
I am excited too for the arrival of your miracle baby boy !
Keep us all posted !
Love you
J