December 16, 2007

Chest Port Removed

I had my chest port removed on Friday. This has been a procedure that I have been waiting for since it was placed in my chest in August. The port never felt comfortable and I never got used to the feeling of this foreign object in my chest.

I arrived at the Hospital bright and early at 6:45am. The Hospital is all decked out for the Holiday's and there was something magical about all the Holiday lights and decorations. It was beautiful and peaceful.

I went to Admissions and immediately checked in. From there I headed back to the Radiology department. I sat in the waiting room with two other people. Again, it was a very peaceful morning. I was called back by the nurse where they inserted the IV into my hand. I changed into a gown and made my way into the operating room.

As I got on the table I began to feel emotional. My baby boy was kicking, squirming and moving. It seemed odd that I was going to be cut and have something removed from me while my baby boy was playing in my belly.

I relaxed and just closed my eyes with my hands on my belly. I don't remember anything this time around. I did pass out and before I knew it I was sitting up with surgical tape on my chest and the IV removed from my hand.

Afterwards I told the nurse that I was heading to the cafeteria to get some breakfast and then off to Labor and Delivery (L&D)for a Non-Stress Test and an Ultrasound.

Everything went well and baby boy tolerated sedation and the procedure just fine. Another small chapter in this journey of breast cancer is now closed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is great that your beautiful baby boy did great with the sedation! I am thrilled to hear this. You must be feeling so much more comfortable now that you had the chest port removed!
I am so happy for you!
~Jeanette

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that this went well for you and the baby... I'm sure you feel better now too .... I love the portrait that Jeanette did of you, it's beautiful - and I love the pictures from the baby shower, you look so happy !
:-)
Love
Jeannine

Anonymous said...

Yay! Isn't that a great feeling getting that foreign thing out of your chest?! Congratulations on putting another milestone in this ordeal behind you.