January 29, 2008

Breast Cancer & Family History

I learned something the day I came home from the hospital with baby Sullivan. I learned that breast cancer runs in my family on my father's side. My Grandmother and Aunt both had breast cancer.

My Grandmother died of pancreatic cancer. I learned that after her death they also discovered that she had breast cancer. Most likely her breast cancer went undetected and spread to her pancreas and later died.

My Aunt had breast cancer and underwent a lumpectomy and radiation. She was a survivor. She died while on the hormone treatment Tamoxifen. She died from a blood clot.

The significance of this information hasn't really sunken into my brain yet. I cried when I found out the news. I was kind of hoping that my breast cancer was just a "fluke." I'm not really sure how to process this new news of family breast cancer.

What does it mean for me and my future and the possibility of a recurrence? What does this mean for my children? Do I have a faulty gene?

1 comment:

NYDolphinette said...

Oh Missy,
I am so sorry to hear about your Aunt and Grandmother. I can imagine how upsetting that information must be to you.

I know it is easier said than done, but I would not focus so much on the what if or what will happen. Instead I would focus on the "now", how you can use this information to your advantage! You can start now and teach your children the importance of a healthy diet and how to stay healthy. Teach them the importance of proper nutrition and vitamins. Teach them the importance of routine exams from the doctor. Teach them precautions to help decrease their risks of illnesses. (It sounds like you are already doing that!)

Be their inspiration and their motivation.
Have hope and faith. Believe in yourself just as I believe in you!

Love Always,
Jeanette