May 21, 2008

Hormone Therapy: Tamoxifen

I met with my oncologist the other day to discuss hormone treatment. She is recommending Tamoxifen and wants me to begin this therapy in August. I have another three months to breastfeed Sullivan and then I need to stop. I'm a bit saddened but thankful that I was able to get six months of breastfeeding in.

Tamoxifen is a drug, taken orally as a tablet once a day. It interferes with the activity of estrogen. Tamoxifen helps prevent the original breast cancer from returning and also helps prevent the development of new cancers in the other breast.

Estrogen can promote the growth of breast cancer cells. Some breast cancers are classified as estrogen receptor-positive (also known as hormone sensitive), which means that they have a protein to which estrogen will bind. These breast cancer cells need estrogen to grow. Tamoxifen works against the effects of estrogen on these cells. My cancer was estrogen receptor positive. I'm a great candidate for tamoxifen.

As with any drug or treatment there are always possible side effects. The known side effects of tamoxifen are: blood clots, strokes, uterine cancer, and cataracts. Other side effects of tamoxifen are similar to the symptoms of menopause: hot flashes and vaginal discharge. Some women experience irregular menstrual periods, headaches, fatigue, nausea and/or vomiting.

Tamoxifen isn't perfect. Some women develop resistance to it over time, allowing cancer to return. I am told that I will be on tamoxifen for five years. FIVE YEARS!

The fact that tamoxifen can cause Endometrial Cancer and Uterine Sarcoma scares the cr*p out of me. Blood clots scare me. My Aunt died because of a blood clot while on tamoxifen. At this point a lot of things scare me but I refuse to live a life of fear.

The reality is that there are risks with anything I choose to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what Missy - you live such a healthy lifestyle , you eat right, you take great care of your body and your mind - I really don't think that this medicine will harm you in any way - I think it's going to be ok - God really has taken care of you this far, I just don't see him letting you down now ... I believe that your mother is sitting there with him watching over you and that you will live a wonderful, long life with your beautiful family... you are blessed and you are a blessing to everyone around you. I love you
Jeannine

Anonymous said...

Jeaninie is right. Don't question. You have always been one of the healthiest people I know. I've always looked up to you for that from the first day I met you in college. You and the way your mother raised you in such a homeopathic way was the best anyone could do. We are living in a scarey age of everything around us being toxic. It makes me crazy. What can we do? Do the best we can individually. Sullivan is such a beautiful boy, he was meant to be your light throughout these challenging times. My thoughts are always with you. Lots of love.
Gretch