May 8, 2008

What Causes Cancer? What Doesn't?

How can I beat cancer? How can I prevent cancer from returning if I don't know what caused it? Is there an absolute correct answer? I don't think so.

Since my diagnosis there have been tons of news coverage about different causes of cancer. Here are just a few of the rumored causes of cancer:

Hair dye causes brain cancer.
Cell phones cause cancer.
Wearing antiperspirants and deodorant can cause cancer.
Designer Lipsticks Contain Lead that Cause Cancer.
Microwaving plastic containers and wraps releases harmful, cancer-causing substances into food.
Regularly eating meat cooked on a charcoal grill can increase your cancer risk.
A high-fat diet causes breast cancer.
Poisoning caused by re-using plastic bottles and/or leaving them in a hot car can cause cancer.
Two alcoholic drinks or more a day can cause cancer.
Sleeping with the light on or staying up late could be a cause of breast cancer.
Red wine consumption can spike estrogen levels in women.

Like I said, I don't know what caused my cancer. So, what do I do? Do I live in fear and doubt about what I put into my body? I can't live in a bubble. I can't shelter myself from my environment.

I don't want to live a life of fear. I don't want to second guess myself every time I choose to eat a grilled hamburger, drink wine, or eat processed food. I choose to live my life without doubt. I choose to love my life without fear. I choose to educate myself and make well informed decisions about my health and my preventive healthcare.

I will do what I'm currently doing. Living my life. Doing whatever I can to live a healthy lifestyle. Enjoying everyday life whether it's good or bad. Creating loving and memorable memories with my family and friends.

I am going to live without looking back.

No comments: