September 29, 2008

Tamoxifen

Tamoxifen prevents (pre)cancerous cells from dividing but does not cause cell death. Tamoxifen passes into the bloodstream, joining all kinds of hormones, nutrients, oxygen, and other molecules as it circulates through the tissues of the body. If breast cancer cells are present, tamoxifen flows around them as well. If these cancer cells have estrogen receptors (about two-thirds do), tamoxifen slips into the receptor "locks," filling up a space that would normally be taken by the body's natural estrogen.

I've been on Tamoxifen for over a month now and I think I'm experiencing a few side effects from the drug. I definitely have hot flashes. They come and they go at all hours of the day. I think stress can trigger them because I normally experience them in the morning while trying to get everyone dressed, fed and out the door. I start perspiring and overall I feel hot and a little light headed. I usually use that as an indicator to slow down, breathe and take it easy. I also experience flashes at night when I'm sleeping. I feel an intense rush of heat and then begin to feel a clammy. Again, I try to breathe and relax without freaking out.

I notice my hair is falling out and it's grossing me out. I pull out small handfuls of hair when I'm showering or while putting a styling product in. It's hard to say if it's the drug because I had a lot of hair loss prior to cancer. It's never been an issue for me because I have super thick hair. However, I do notice more loss since starting Tamoxifen.

Some other side effects I'm experiencing are nausea, fatigue and irritable mood swings. The irritable mood swings usually happen when I'm tired, nauseous and experiencing a hot flash all at once. During these moments I feel like my body has reached its breaking point and that I'm about to collapse. I usually need to sit down and stop what I'm doing. It's not a good feeling. Luckily, these are few and far between.

I will continue to take my medicine as prescribed by my oncologist. I don't foresee these symptoms getting any worse. From what I hear the symptoms tapper off after awhile.

No comments: