November 5, 2008

Oncologist Appointment

I had my follow up appointment this morning. The worst part about doctor appointments is the wait. Sullivan and I arrived at 9:30 for a 10:30 appointment. I keep thinking that maybe they'll get me in earlier if I arrive early. No. Never. So, I kept Sullivan entertained and he did the same for me.

The appointment went smoothly. We discussed my mammogram and echo cardiogram results. Everything is normal. I brought up the back/rib pain that I have been having. This pain has been constant for almost a year now. It originated around the time of my mastectomy surgery (July 2007). It's a dull and constant ache under my scapula. Sometime it feels like I'm being stabbed in the back. I feel it every day. I expressed my concern to the doctor and she suggested a bone scan. She said, "Why not - you're worth it." It felt nice to hear her say that. I am worth it. She said possibly-maybe it could be a fractured rib. I have a lot of experience with subluxated ribs (slightly out of place) and it definitely feels like ribs. Having the scan will rule out a possible tumor and give me some peace of mind. I'm tired of thinking about this pain and I truly want it to go away.

I also mentioned the 2D6 test. She agreed and promptly checked to see if my insurance would cover it. They did and the nurse drew blood right on the spot. Now, I wait for the results.

The best part about my appointments is showing off Sullivan to the nurses and to my wonderful doctor. He's my beautiful miracle and they know it. When I'm in the Cancer Center and Sullivan is with me I feel like he is my trophy. I want to tell everyone sitting in the waiting room that I went through cancer treatment and I delivered this beautiful boy. He is my daily reminder of.....
...how strong I am.
...how precious life is.
...how blessed I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How great that you get to show off your miracle... he is what got you through those hard days and night... May God continue to bless you and give you many more miracles my friend... I love you
Jeannine