May 8, 2009

Tea for Moms


Today, was Tea For Moms. It was an absolute delight. There was a beautiful table set with coffee, juice, cookies, muffins and pastry. Each place setting was decorated with a hand-made card, place mat and fresh flowers. It was all beautiful.

The card read..... I made this flower hand print for you so that one day when I am tall, you'll remember what my hand print looked like long ago when I was small. I choked up when I read it. I can't say I like thinking about the future. At least not far into the future. Cancer still haunts me. And, it can put an instant damper on any happy moment. What made me emotional was the line - you'll remember what my hand print looked like long ago when I was small. I desperately want those words to ring true. I want to be here. I want to be here in 5, 10, 15, 50+ years. I want to look back and remember. I want lots and lots of great memories with my children and my husband.

So, there I sat with my daughter in my lap, snuggling and munching on cookies. She was so proud to show me the things she made for me that she was grinning ear to ear. I love her smile. It's genuine, warm and inviting. I love her dearly. It was the best Mother's Day surprise and I hope I have many, many more. I love these moments.

The thought of her growing up makes me sad. It's inevitable I know, but I hate the thought of her growing up. I'm sure most parents do. I sometimes wish that the now - right now, could be my forever. I want her to stay little. I don't want her to grow up too fast. Time is passing by quickly and this saddens me. But, it's days like this that remind me to be joyful and thankful. It's a reminder to me that my life is really good.

Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: