July 17, 2009

Prothesis

I am the proud owner of my very own, perfectly fitted, left breast prosthetic! Can I get a woo-hoo!!! I love it! The fit is perfect!

I can't tell you how excited I was for my fitting today. I've been wearing a bulky, heavy form for far too long. This prosthetic form was given to me as a "hand-me-down" after the birth of my son. Since I was lactating and nursing him the size matched my one breast. However, after nursing stopped and after the pregnancy weight came off, the prosthetic breast no longer matched. Giving me a lopsided look.

Today's consultation also included a bra fitting. I can't remember the last time I went bra shopping. The mastectomy bra has a little pouch for the prosthesis to fit in. This pouch keeps the form in place, preventing it from falling out.

I have been living in sports bras and fitted tank tops for the last two years. Now, I can actually wear a proper bra and feel confident.

Today was an awesome day!

No comments: