March 23, 2010

My Two Hours

My two hours of exercise usually consists of one or two of the following:  Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, Body Sculpting, Weight Training and Spin Class.  I look forward to MY two hours. Emphasis is added on the my because, for those two hours, it's all about me.

I've been an athlete all my life. I played sports all through high school, college and into my early thirties. I was playing competitive volleyball up until my first trimester of my first pregnancy. I met my husband on the volleyball courts - woo-hoo!   Fitness was a big part of my life up until the birth of my first born. I did what most new moms do - I put myself last.  I was a new mom and a new wife. I no longer worked out. I stopped mountain biking. I stopped playing volleyball. I stopped doing the things that I normally liked to do. I stopped making time for myself. My new role as mother, was all about my baby girl. 

I think it's hard for us mom's to find that balance. I got lost in my new role as a Stay-home-Mom. I was getting lost in everyone else's needs but my own. So, a couple of years later, a few pounds heavier, a second child and a cancer diagnosis is when I finally received my wake up call. It said, "YOU BETTER START TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF!" And, so I did.

My rebirth into exercise was slow and gradual. I started exactly four months after the birth of my son and ten months after my cancer diagnosis. I started off easy, with power walking every day. Around the neighborhood turned into one mile then two and three. Sometimes I walked twice a day - morning and night. When it got too hot around Hotlanta, I brought my workout to the YMCA. I dusted off my membership and started taking classes. Again, my work outs were gradual - water exercise, water yoga, step aerobics and low impact aerobics. My body took a beating for the first several months. My endurance was shot and I had trouble getting through some of the classes. I huffed and puffed and hated every second of it because it was hard.  It was really hard for me, but I stuck with it.  My body ached as my muscles came out of hibernation after nearly four years. YIKES!

Now, exercise has become a big part of my life. I've learned to work it into my day. I think that is key. You have to find what works for you and stick with it. For me, my routine is to head to the gym right after I drop my daughter off at preschool.  I work out five days a week and clock in 1.5 - 2 hours at the gym each day.  It's my routine. It's my new norm.

Yeah, I have laundry to do, floors to clean, food shopping to do and three people to love, nurture and spend time with. I do all of that, after my morning work out. I get my two hours in and then I can tackle the To-Do List.  I get my two hours in and then I can play, laugh and run blissfully around with my kids.

My two hours - oh, how I love thee.

No comments: