March 11, 2011

C4YW

Conference For Young Women Affected by Breast Cancer
February 25-27, 2011
Orlando, Fl

The C4YW website offered five reason's why a young women diagnosed with breast cancer should attend this yearly conference. The five reasons listed were:
• Hear relevant updates from leading healthcare experts
• Learn what’s in the pipeline in scientific research and clinical care for young women affected by or at increased risk for developing breast cancer
• Empower yourself with knowledge to make the choices best for you
• Visit the exhibitors’ hall - find products, and information helpful to young women with breast cancer
• Meet other people who can relate to your experience
I say come, because we share a common bond. That bond is a cancer diagnosis. 
*We have a common hope*A common dream*A common goal*A common journey*
We want to beat cancer and keep it away.
We want to find our new life after a cancer diagnosis.
We want to discover and accept our new normal.
We want to grow and make memories with the people we love.  We want to be here for our loved ones. We want to live. We want to be healthy. We want to be free of cancer.

C4YW for me was …...
totally empowering;
full of encouragement;
fellowship between new and old friends;
spontaneous tears and sniffles;
comforting hugs;
sweet smiles of acknowledgment, laughter and joy;
frequent cheers of accomplishment; determination; and ass kicking, cancer stomping attitude; and
a reminder of where I've been, where I am currently and where I'm going.

The three day weekend was a whirlwind of emotions for me (highs, lows and everything in between).  During my free time from workshops and group events I found time to sit and ponder. A little me time to soak it all in. My emotions didn't really hit me until my return trip home. I was sitting on the airplane, sandwiched between two passengers when unexpectedly it hit me and the tears began to fall.  Everything that I experienced that weekend finally surfaced and broke through. I was definitely in need of a good cry.

It felt good to be surrounded by other young women like me.  To see each of us in different stages of our journey was empowering. I felt proud and honored to be there. It's comforting to know that I'm not alone. You can't feel alone, especially when you're standing amongst 700 other women.  You really know then, that you're not alone. 

There was a women in the audience who was 26 years out of treatment. WOW!  I want to one day be able to say, "I'm a 26 year breast cancer thriver!"

Therapeutic fun in the Photo Booth.
My incredible and inspiring roomies! More photo's can be seen here


It was a fantastic weekend. 
Truly looking forward to attending next year and seeing everyone.

ⓁⓄⓋⒺ ➋ ⒶⓁⓁ



No comments: