I kicked off the morning by getting up early to take a bath. While sitting in the tub I recited my daily affirmation: I am thankful and grateful for my healthy body. All the cells in my body are whole, perfect, vibrant and abundant. I am healthy. We are healthy.
I arrived bright and early at the fusion center around 8:30am. I was the third patient to be seated. My fusion began with a hug from Bernice – the lovely lady who sits at the sign in desk. I then met with the nurse to access my port. The insertion of the needle into my freshly installed port was painless. I did not know what to expect but she did a wonderful job. I then met Jenny, my infusion nurse.
The first bag of liquid medicine went into my body at 9:20am. I started off with a steroid, Decadron. Decadron is used in conjunction with Zofran, an anti-nausea medicine. Zofran was the second bag of liquid medicine and Zofran in conjunction with Decadron prevents and treats chemotherapy induced Nausea and Vomiting.
The third bag of liquid medicine was Adriamycin. It is used to treat some kinds of cancers of the blood; lymph system; bladder; breast; stomach; lung; ovaries; thyroid; nerves; kidneys; bones; and soft tissues, including muscles and tendons. Adriamycin belongs to the general group of medicines known as antineoplastics (drugs that inhibit and combat the development of tumors). Adriamycin seems to interfere with the growth of cancer cells, which are then eventually destroyed by the body.
The fourth bag of liquid medicine was Fluorouracil. Fluorouracil belongs to the group of medicines known as antimetabolites. Antimetabolites prevents the cells from carrying out vital functions and the cells are unable to grow and survive. Again, this drug is used to interfere with the growth of cancer cells in the body.
My fifth and final bag of liquid medicine was Cytoxan. Cytoxan belongs to the group of medicines called alkylating agents (disruption of DNA function and cell growth). Again, this drug is used to interfere with the growth of cancer cells in the body.
Ok, that is the sum of my medicine. Now, let me tell you that I had a wonderful experience in the infusion lab. I went by myself and I was totally at ease with no worries or nerves. Sometimes I wonder and question where my strength comes from. I do know that my beloved Mother is always with me. I seem to have such a calm with all this "cancer stuff" and I can only think that it's because she's with me every step of the way. It's very comforting. THANKS MOM!Andy arrived the last hour of my infusion. He brought me lunch from the lobby that consisted of a chicken sandwich and bar-b-que chips. We ate lunch and just talked the remainder of the time. The final "beep" from my medicine tower went off at 1pm. Jenny came over and said, "You're done!"
At that time I received a text message from my brother Chris asking how it was going. I text messaged him back "Gr8t!". He wrote back and said, "U Really R Awesome." I cried when I read those words. I hadn't cried all day - but him writing that to me made me happy and I really felt loved. I love my brother Chris and I love my brother Doug. They mean the world to me and I miss them so much. They both live in Binghamton, New York. I MISS YOU GUYS!
On my way out of the infusion lab I said goodbye to Bernice and told her that I would see her in a couple of weeks. CHEMOTHERAPY CYCLE ONE IS DONE! One down and five to go. Bring it on!!!
I jumped in my car and headed home. I had to pick Maelyn up who was at her friends house all morning. When we got home we all took a 2 hour nap. Later that night we went out to dinner with friends to celebrate cycle one.
So far no symptoms and no nausea. I'm typing this blog at 3:30 am on Saturday morning and I feel great (just can't sleep because I have so much to say). I just hope and pray that my feeling good lasts. I have my anti-nausea medicine which I will take as prescribed around the clock for the next two days and then on an "as-needed" basis after day three.
To sum up my first chemotherapy infusion and overall day..... I will say GR8T (great)!!!!
1 comment:
I am so happy to hear this news ! You are awesome, your brother is right ! Your never ending strength amazes me !!
I love you !!
Love
Jeannine
Post a Comment