In preparation for chemotherapy on Friday I was scheduled for a chest port or "port-a-cath" today. The port is inserted into the upper chest wall (the space between your collarbone and your breast) to make chemotherapy easier and more comfortable. The medication goes right into the main blood supply entering the heart, so it can be sent quickly and efficiently to all parts of the body. I have been told that some types of chemotherapy can be very uncomfortable if injected into a vein just under your skin. The port avoids this potential discomfort.The procedure itself was painless. I remained conscience but just sedated. I was talking to the surgeon and the attendee's throughout the insertion. The operating room was equipped with a stereo and we listened to a local Atlanta radio station (92.9 Dave FM). While laying there I got to hum to the great tunes of Dave Mathews and Jack Johnson. My old faithful..... Bob Marley came on to keep me cool and relaxed while on the table.
Everything finally ended at 4:00 pm. I've been told by the discharge nurse that I cannot go swimming for 30 days. UGH!! It's been 100+ degrees outside. What else am I supposed to be doing outside with a toddler if I can't go swimming? I'm really bummed. Swimming has been really therapeutic for me and my arm since the mastectomy. I'm able to sit in the pool but I can't get my chest wet. What a way to finish the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment