September 5, 2007

"Are you different"

"Are you different?" asked my almost three year old. Shyly she said, "You look like a daddy."

I couldn't help but cry when she said that. I try not to cry in front of her but I just couldn't keep the tears back. I got down on the floor at her level and through my tears I told her, "No, I'm not different. I'm taking medicine that makes my hair fall out. I'm not different because I do not have hair." She then asked me if I was sad (because of my tears). I told her that I wasn't sad. She then leaned into me and gave me the biggest, longest hug. I couldn't help but to cry some more.

By this time, my husband came into the room and asked if everything was alright. I told him what Maelyn had asked me. We then explained to her again about the medicine, the hair loss and that I'm still the same mommy.

A common answer in our household for a lot of things is, "IT HAPPENS." If Maelyn pees on the floor I say, "It's okay, it happens." If she falls and scrapes her arm I say, "It's okay, it happens." If I drop something and it breaks I say, "It's okay, it happens." Little things happen. They might appear big and awful at first....but things happen and it's okay.

Cancer happens. Hair loss happens. It's all okay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew... this one made me cry... sigh.... Missy, I don't know where you get your courage and your strength but it amazes me - you inspire me - you are such an incredible person and wonderful mother - Maelyn is so blessed to have you as a mother and this new baby is blessed even more !
You are doing so great with this cancer and I am very proud of you ! I pray every night for you and you are in my heart every minute of the day !
I love you so much my friend !
Love
jeannine

Anonymous said...

Melissa you brought tears to my eyes as I read this. You are truly a strong and beautiful person. I love your philosophy and admire you for it!!
Love Always,
Jeanette

Anonymous said...

Melissa,
This one made me cry too. But how about Maelyn's big hug afterwards to let you know everything will be okay. What a gift! She LOVES her mommy. I can't begin tell you how much I love your attitude. You are touching so many people with your strength. Know that you are loved and appreciated everywhere you go. Every moment of every day.
Much love,
Annette

Anonymous said...

Melissa, you are an incredible woman; and such an inspiration. Your attitude about everything makes me rethink and feel guilty that I have the nerve to conplain about something simple. Thank you for being a wonderful friend and sharing your journey. I may not see you but I am walking with you and your family in prayer!!!

Kim