It's impossible to not lively up yourself when you listen to Bob Marley. His music is timeless. It resonates. It's infectious!After I was diagnosed with breast cancer (in the left breast) my doctors sent me for a bilateral mammogram and bilateral ultrasound to check each breast thoroughly. I remember that day clearly. I was nervous, anxious and scared. I was scared that they would find an additional lump or suspicious tissue. After the first set of films I was asked to go back to the waiting room. I was then called back into the room for further films. I saw the previous set of images on the lighted wall board with circle marks. I noticed that the circles were located on the left and right breast films. Before I could say anything the technician took them down and said, "The doctor wants a couple of more pictures of each breast." My heart began to flutter.
After she took the images she left the room to begin processing. I really got nervous then. I began to cry because I was obviously thinking the worst. I stopped crying immediately and said to myself, "why are you crying...you don't know anything other than seeing circle marks on the film - relax." I told myself to think good thoughts (which I do when I get nervous, scared or mad). I then told myself to sing a song and the first thing to come to my mind was Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds." I sang the chorus over and over again.....
Singin: don’t worry bout a thing, cause every little thing gonna be all right. Singin: don’t worry (don’t worry) bout a thing, cause every little thing gonna be all right! I immediately began to feel calm. After the second set of films the doctor told me that the right breast looked clear and the only suspicious findings in the left breast was the original known tumor.
Since then, Three Little Birds has been my theme song or anthem if you will. I listen to it everyday. I crank the volume up and just surrender my thoughts and feelings into the song. When I'm at home I dance around my coffee table. When I'm in the car I open all the windows and sing without a care in the world.
Bob Marley's music is insightful, compassionate, positive, uplifting, courageous and much, much more. It's been said...."When you need to refer to a certain situation or crisis, there will always be a Bob Marley song that will relate to it. Bob was a musical prophet."
I say, find what works for you. Find your happy place. Find your inner strength and keep feeding yourself. In times of crisis, struggle or despair it's important to tap into your source.
If it's music, prayer, meditation, poetry, journaling....know, only you can make the choice to be or not to be (happy, sad, mad, etc).
2 comments:
If I said it once, I've said it a hundred times,,, YOU are an inspiration my friend.. reading your blog and sharing your journey is what gives me my strength to get through the hard times I am facing... I get so down and cry most days because my son can't speak to me and he tunes me out - then I get on your blog and I feel your positive energy and I pull my strength from it and tell myself that every little things gonna be alright and to keep talking to my son, keep praying for a miracle and never give up hope that he will overcome the autism !!!
Thank you for being my source of strength and my inspiration to keep on moving ....
I love you !
Love
Jeannine
I love Bob Marley. You do realize now every time I hear Three Little Birds I am going to stop and think of you, with a smile of course! I am getting a vivid image of you dancing around your coffee table without a care in the world singing away. I love your free-spiritedness! Never change. You are wonderful just the way you are!
I often find certain songs comforting in times of need. If a song does not do the trick for me in that particular rough time I try to pair it up with some meditation and retreat into my happy place. I find afterwards my troubles often seem less grand and not much of a trouble at all! Sometimes I find I just need to remove myself from that situation and reapproach it later from a different angle.
Love Always,
Jeanette
Post a Comment