Since starting chemotherapy on August 17th and since the loss of my hair (September 1st), I have been approached by two strangers.
One, was a wonderful man approximately 70+ years old. I was sitting outside Dunkin Donuts enjoying a bagel and coffee when he came up to me and asked, "Are you going through chemotherapy?" I said yes. He then asked me what type of cancer I had and I told him breast cancer. He said, "bless your heart, my wife had breast cancer. He proceeded to tell me her story and that she lost her battle several years ago because by the time they found the cancer it was Stage IV, Metastatic Cancer (cancer spread from her breast to her rib cage). He was very pleasant and just emphasized how much treatments have changed over the years. He wished me luck and told me that I was going to be just fine. ~Thank you stranger~
The second encounter was from a breast cancer survivor at Target. She was working behind the counter at the cafe. I had ordered a pretzel with mustard and as I was paying she asked me, "Do you have breast cancer?" I said yes. She then told me that she was a breast cancer survivor of 6 years and that she was originally diagnosed at the age of 33. I told her that I'm 34 and pregnant. We talked more as she worked behind the counter taking orders and putting inventory away. She was very kind and complimented me on how I looked. She said I looked beautiful. That afternoon I did feel beautiful (I can't say that about everyday). She told me her schedule and asked that next time I come in that I stop by. She said, "we're sisters now." I never did get her name. ~Thank you breast cancer survivor~
“Live your life fom your heart. Share from your heart. And your story will touch and heal people's souls.” Melody Beattie
1 comment:
Isn't it interesting how people who do not know you at all can make an impression on your life? Sometimes strangers have the greatest thoughts and words!
Love Always,
Jeanette
Post a Comment