November 27, 2007

"I'm not Beautiful"

"I'm not beautiful." This is what my daughter (3 year old) said yesterday about herself. I asked her why she didn't think she was beautiful. Her response....."Because, I'm not wearing anything sparkley."

This prompted a discussion about what beautiful really means. I told her that beautiful is being confident, loving and accepting yourself the way it is. It's loving what God has given you. It's about being kind, gentle, compassionate, grateful, and appreciating all that you possess. It's about being authentic and embracing your authenticity. It's about loving and accepting ourselves and those we love unconditionally. It's not about make-up, clothes, hair, accessories or sparkley things. Beauty is not a tangible object that we can pick up, put on and presto make us beautiful.

It's about you being you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that... if only everyone believed it... you know ? I think that was the most incredible thing that anyone could tell their child about being beautiful... I admire you so much Melissa - more than words can ever express !
Love you
J

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%!!!!
Love always,
jeanette