Words cannot express how much I love my little boy. I find myself thanking God everyday for his safe arrival. I am truly blessed.It's been one week since his arrival. Everyone is doing great and everything is going just fine. My only concern is my milk supply. I can't seem to figure out if chemotherapy has affected my milk supply. Little Sullivan has latched on and knows how to suck but I'm not convinced that the milk is sufficient. Today, I took him to the pediatrician for his follow up appointment and he lost some more weight. My heart hit the floor when I saw the scale. He lost 7 ounces since leaving the hospital. Altogether, he has lost one pound. The doctor said he's hydrated and shows no signs of jaundice but he needs more calories to put weight back on. Even though I've been supplementing with formula.... it appears that he needs even more. The pediatrician said he's probably "comfort nursing" when he's on the breast and not actively emptying the breast properly.
I left the pediatrician's office feeling discouraged. I thought for sure that he would have put some weight on. I cried on the way home and just told myself that I could do it ...... we could do it. I am determined to breast feed my baby.
3 comments:
You have given your little boy the best breast milk you can within the first few days of his life. Both my boys were intially breast fed and then I went to formula b/c I couldn't produce enough milk. They are happy and healthy. I keep you and your family in my prayers everyday.
love,
Jen
I know you can do it Melissa. You are a wonderful person and a great mother. Hang in there! I know you can do it!
Love Always,
Jeanette
P.S. I love the picture of Maelyn and Sullivan. You have two beautiful children! They are blessed to have such a wonderful Mom!!!
Love Always,
Jeanette
Post a Comment