My contractions started Friday evening. I had contractions all through the weekend. Monday morning the contractions were 5 minutes apart but tolerable. We opted to go to the hospital to make sure. Upon arrival I was checked by my Midwife. Unfortunately, I was only 1 centimeter and my cervix was not effaced. I was offered the choice of walking around the hospital for an hour or to go home. I wanted to go home.When I got home I was exhausted so I took a two hour nap. By mid afternoon on Monday my contractions began to get stronger (but still tolerable).
Throughout the night my contractions intensified (still tolerable with a lot of breathing). Around 5 am on Tuesday morning I decided to get into the bathtub and soak in warm water. I sat in the tub for an hour with contractions happening every 4-5 minutes apart. The contractions were intense but still manageable with breathing exercises. At 6 am I got out and told my husband that it was time to go.
We arrived at the hospital around 7:45 am. Andy checked me in while I worked through contractions off to the side. By the time we were cleared and brought back to a room it was close to 8:30 am.
My midwife checked me and she said I was 4 centimeters dilated. I paced back and forth around the room and used the bed as support when my contractions peaked. I kept this up for about 45 minutes and then decided to lay down and rest. From 9:15 on I labored in bed. Maelyn fed me ice chips as I worked through my contractions. Around 10:15 my water broke.
A little after 11 am the anesthesiologist arrived to administer the epidural. After everyone left the room I felt a sudden pressure in my backside and pelvic region. I knew it was time to push. I pushed the call button for the nurses station but no one responded. I began to call out for someone. Andy came into the room and I told him to get someone because I had the urge to push. The nurse came in and checked me. She said, "your about to have a baby." I began to cry uncontrollably. Maelyn stroked my head and said, "it's ok momma."
It took about 10 minutes for my midwife to arrive. I pushed....pushed....pushed.... and pushed. At 11:49 am - Little Sullivan was born.
It was a wonderful and beautiful birth. Maelyn and Andy were there for every second of the birth. Maelyn got to witness her baby brother being born and she was able to participate in the birth. She fed me ice chips and encouraged me that I could do it.
Sullivan is my miracle child. I am truly blessed.
2 comments:
I'm so excited that he's finally here.... and that the labor and delivery were not too bad for you... I can't wait to hear more about him and see pictures
Love
Jeannine
Thank you for sharing this story! I love that Maelyn was able to experience the birth of Sullivan. I think that is absolutely wonderful. I am sure she will be talking about her experience for a long time!!!
Hope you are feeling well!
Love Always,
Jeanette
Post a Comment