Taking charge of my health - that's my main focus right now. I've been through chemotherapy and pregnancy under the careful watch of a team of incredible doctors. Now, I'm on my own. It's up to me to maintain, sustain and better improve my entire wellbeing.Cancer is unpredictable. It can show it's ugly head when we least expect it. I'm determined to improve and boost my overall state of health (body, mind and spirit). Cancer hasn't drastically changed my life but it has awakened me to me. Having been diagnosed with cancer has challenged me to take better care of myself. Cancer has reminded me to take care of me - pay more attention to me. As a mom I was putting my children before me. I think that's natural for most moms - we live, breathe and care for our kids 24/7. We put their needs before our own. I'm learning to balance them and me now.
Part of that balance is going to the gym every morning. My morning gym time is MY TIME! My daughter asks me often, "why are we going to the Y?" My reply, "because mommy needs it." I need to go. I need to work on myself. I need to work out. I need to get my heart rate going. I need to challenge my body. I need to push myself. My body needs it - my mind needs it and my spirit needs it.
It's not easy getting everyone up, fed, dressed and out the door by 8 o'clock. Most mornings I feel frazzled and a bit stressed. But once I get to the gym I feel calm and serene. I feel a bit excited knowing that I have a full hour to focus just on me.
As I work out I tell myself that I am strong and healthy. It's my workout mantra. My focus is on overall health and not striving to have the next bowflex body. My focus is keeping cancer away. I'm also not concerned about the number on the scale. I'm not concerned about the flaws I see when I look in the mirror (lop sided chest, a little pouch here and there). I look in the mirror and I see strength. I see and feel myself getting stronger each day. I notice a difference and it feels good.
My weekly activities are Zumba, Core Strengthening, Pilates and Cardio. Pilates improves core strength, flexibility, agility and range of motion. Pilates is really helping me with my left surgical side. A year after my mastectomy I still have some minor muscular and skeletal issues from the surgery. The class focuses on the core postural muscles which help keep the body balanced (which is essential to providing support for the spine). In particular, Pilates exercises teach awareness of breath and alignment of the spine, and aim to strengthen the deep torso muscles.
Core strengthening is helping me overall. When you have good core stability, the muscles in your pelvis, lower back, hips and abdomen work in harmony. They provide support to your spine for just about any activity. I'm learning to connect and be aware of my core muscles. It's fantastic!!!
Zumba is so much fun. Zumba is a style of intense dance-aerobics workout to latin music or other styles of music. It's amazing. There is no way to get through a class without smiling. This class is a sure "pick-me-up."
I'm in charge of my health and getting help from my local YMCA. I'm feeling good, going strong and discovering myself along the way.
This is something that I'm doing for me (body, mind & spirit). Cancer or no cancer - we all need to take care of ourselves and schedule some "me time."
2 comments:
How long do you work out each day? That balance is so important, I lose track of this balance frequently. Yoga helps me with this. I am going to try and find a Zumba class.
XO, Gretch
I like to exercise for an hour each day (M-F). I don't go to the gym on weekends. Yoga is wonderful!!!
Post a Comment