I woke up feeling energized and ready to conquer the day. I haven't felt this good in about 2 1/2 weeks. I've been in a funk lately and this morning I told myself to snap out of it!!! I ate a hearty breakfast and began cleaning the house. My Dad called to wish me good luck and to encourage me. I also received a call from my Sister In-Law wishing me well. It's always nice to feel the love and support of family and today I really needed it. I dropped Maelyn off at a friends house by 10 am and went back home to gather my things together. I was out the door by 10:30 and arrived at the Cancer Center by 11:10.Walking into the Cancer Center this morning was vastly different than my last visit for infusion. I was very calm and had absolutely no anxiety. I pulled into the parking spot, locked my car and said, "Let's do this Sullivan." I was talking to myself and my baby. I really felt ready. I had no cares or worries about my blood work.
As I sat in the waiting room I had thoughts of my dear friend (Ms. K) whom after a challenging pregnancy went into labor earlier this morning. I thought of her and all the emotions and excitement of giving birth. She was what was on my mind this morning. She was my inspiration today.
I was told to go back and see Dr. A. They changed up the routine of first going to the lab and sent me directly to see the doctor. I went back to Dr. A's office where the nurse inserted the needle line into my chest port, pulled blood and then told me to sit and wait for Dr. A. Again, I just envisioned my friend holding her newborn daughter. Dr. A finally came in, examined me, chit-chatted and then cleared me for chemo.
On my way into infusion, Bernice gave me a hug and said, "I have a present for you." There was a box of small gift bags with head wraps and scarfs. I got to choose one of my liking. What a wonderful surprise. My chemo nurse was Marybeth. I haven't seen her on the floor before but nonetheless she was pleasant and friendly. All the nurses are absolutely wonderful. I found my pod near the bathroom and began setting up my things next to the chair. My bag of goodies consist of: water, book, journal, mp3 player, curious george (I've had him since I was 7 years old), pictures of my family and mom, and a snack.
The first drop of liquid entered into my body at 12:20. Chemo infusion #5 had officially begun. Instead of reading, I decided to watch tv. I couldn't help but watch Bringing Home Baby on TLC. I sat in the lazy boy with a box of tissues and teared every time the babies were born. Again, my thoughts were with my friend who was going to meet and hold her sweet little girl after nine months. What a joyous day.
Chemo infusion ended at 3:40. I packed my things up and headed out the door. I said goodbye to the Nurses and Bernice. I told them that I would be back in three weeks. On the way home I called a friend to find out if Ms. K had her baby. Indeed she did! Little Jasmine was born on Thursday, November 8th at 11:13 am, weighing 6 lbs 11 oz and Mom was doing great. I hung up the phone and just cried. I'm so happy that little Jasmine made it safely into this world.
Life is beautiful!
1 comment:
Wonderful news.. I'm so happy for your friend... your baby will be here very soon and you too will feel that joy when he is put into your arms... I can't wait !!!
You were so strong today, I'm very proud of you !
Love
Jeannine
Post a Comment